Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Blue Bell (3/365)

This little blue bell dates from my father's and grandfather's Christmas trees, back in the 1950s. One Christmas, when I was very, very young, possibly 5 or 6 years old, I recall my sister and I sneaking out to the tree to inspect the carefully wrapped packages, hours before we were permitted to wake our parents.

As we approached the tree, I caught sight of this little bell, twinkling and shining, it's blue metallic surface reflecting the lights on the tree with joyous clarity. I loved the sense of peace and calm that it gave me to just gaze on that little bell. Each year, I hang it on my tree at approximately eye level and I make sure I take a few moments to simply sit and contemplate it... and the true meaning of Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment